The desire to know and experience God, as well as the desire for identity are hard-wired into every human being, regardless of when or where they were born, and regardless of culture or socio-economic status. Everything of eternal value—even our purpose for living—grows from here.
Your identity is rooted in your knowledge of God:
- God wants to express his love to us, and have us love him in return.
- God is secure in his identity and he wants us to become secure in ours.
- Jesus, God’s son, paid the penalty for our sin by dying on the cross. Now you can be made righteous, and have a new identity. Just receive it! John [1:12] says, “but to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God.”
- Acknowledge you are a sinner, realizing that your sin has separated you from God; then simply accept what Jesus did for you on the cross.
“Lord Jesus, I am sorry for the things I have done wrong in my life. Please forgive me. I now turn from everything I know is wrong. Thank you that you died on the cross for me so that I could be forgiven and set free. I know you are alive, and I now receive your offer of forgiveness and the gift of your Spirit. Thank you for giving me new life. Amen.”
If you just prayed that prayer from your heart, you are now IN CHRIST. You have identified with Jesus Christ in his death and resurrection—and now you have a new identity. You are part of the family of God! Remember, your old identity is gone. Galatians [2:20] says, “I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.”
On a regular basis, make these declarations out loud:
- I have grace and peace from God, my Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
- I am blessed with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places
- I was chosen, destined before the foundation of the world to be holy and blameless.
- I was adopted in love into God’s family
- I’ve been redeemed by the blood of Christ
- I’ve been forgiven of my trespasses
- Grace has been lavished upon me in all wisdom and insight
- I’ve obtained an inheritance and it’s guaranteed!
- I’ve been sealed and empowered by the Holy Spirit.
- God has given me great power and authority.
- Get baptized. This is the public confession of your faith. It’s where you officially make known to everyone that you have turned from your old ways, and you are following Christ now.
- Find a local church where you can be baptized, worship God, and grow in your faith through sound Bible teaching, fellowship with other believers.
- Live in dependence upon God every day. As you do this, you’ll find that, more and more, you are expressing genuine kindness to others. Remember, you don’t have to earn God’s approval. You already have it!
- Go deeper into this topic by reading Who Am I, by Jerry Bridges.
- If you’re suffering from emotional abuse from childhood? Read The Forgotten Blessing.
Still unsure if you should believe what the Bible says? Check this out: “Why Believe the Bible”.
To leave a testimonial:
- Comment on the show-notes of a given podcast episode (either within your podcast app or on our website)
- Leave us a voice mail on our Google Voice #: 1-425-998-6083
- Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com
Connect with us:
This post may contain links to products or services with which we have an affiliate relationship, which means we may receive compensation from your actions through such links; however, that doesn’t change our perspective—and we don’t recommend only affiliates.